8.12.2006

Fanaa

I’m always super-excited about watching even mediocre Hindi movies, so I was really looking forward to watching Fanaa, considering I had good reviews about it. The past few Hindi movies that I’ve seen (Rang De Basanti, Hazaaron Khwaishe Aise, My Brother Nikhil) have left me with nothing with very good impressions about the new directors and the concepts. I am particularly happy with the fact that they no longer consider the average movie-goer to be an immature incapable of understanding complex feelings, plots and grey characters. This movie unfortunately disappoints.

Maybe I have a morbid sense of humor. But this particular episode in the movie is absolutely ridiculous –
Rishi Kapoor plunges to his accidental death in the Kashmir valley. The scene cuts to Kajol filling water by the frozen river (why she’s doing that when her house is equipped with the latest gadgets and even a throbbing fireplace is beyond me); where she actually sees Rishi Kapoor’s body flowing underneath the icy river!

Clichés abound…a
Delhi travel guide lives in a beautiful apartment complete with a patio and garden furniture. The rain song with Kajol in her drenched chiffon sari. Ee Gads! Poor blind Kajol goes about her merry life with her concept of her “shehazada”. Kiron Kher is intolerable as the overbearing mom. Not one character is fleshed out.

Weekend movies: Kontroll, Melinda and Melinda

3 comments:

Lakshmi said...

It was unbelievable how much faith the couple had in their blind daughter's intuition about her Shehzaada. Guess it didn't click with me... The film was quite okay or maybe I was plain starved of Hindi films.

Btw, Rehaan was not a tour guide, right? Guess that explains the patio apartment!

clickable said...

I thought he was a guide. In any case, he seemed like a lukkha who shouldn't be affording huge penthouses. I'm tired of simplistic story-lines. But you're right, I lap up most Hindi movies because I don't watch them often.

Radha said...

If you thought Fana was unreal, wait till u watch KANK. SRK is an Indian David Beckham (complete with a 'victory' tatoo on his arm & a 5-million dollar contract) and Amitabh is a a wierd character inspired from 'The girls of the playboy mansion' :)
Its too hilarious...in a silly kind of way!!