6.10.2007

Old San Juan


Old San Juan mesmerized me with the cobbled-stone alleys, the curio shops, and the vibrant colors on the walls. What fascinated me was that seemingly ordinary buildings and in fact even chain stores used these colors to create an effect of harmony and vibrancy. Of course, the city has done a great job in maintaining this effect, and it definitely is not a coincidence that the redeveloped section of Old San Juan where El Morro, and the galleries are, also have repeated this architectural style. The architecture in San Juan seemed to be a medley of Spanish and island architecture - no wonder it seemed like I was in Goa. Featured pic (the ubiquitous Burger King – San Juan style)

6 comments:

Radha said...

It does look a lot like Goa!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Goa, but this place reminds me of Miami a whole lot.

Sigh! one more place to see in my long list of places. Right now NY is on the top of the list...yup havent ever been there :)

- M

Copperboy78 said...

Uma, nice pics. Looks like you had a lot of fun :)

TalkingHead said...

I loved San Juan,everything about it..been there twice already. After SJ I jave come to the conclusion that pseudo ethnic can be comforting..

clickable said...

Yeah, this place is so charming. It feels like it's been ages since this vacation.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Yes you are on Radha's :)

I will love to visit Puerto Rico...its hardly any distance from Florida (my current resident place) and our chair prof and tons of classmates are from the place.....just that freakin' school life pays you peanuts!!! :((((