10.25.2007

In the Miso soup - Ryu Murakami

Fast moving thriller. I liked the intimate look at Japan’s sex industry, and the seemingly orthogonal view of Japanese culture and the woman’s place in the work force in their society. It seems to be a very male dominated society; teens are extremely fashion-conscious, and lonely, while adult women seem to be very regressive and following in the men’s heels. I might be making some really untrue statements here, but that’s what I thought after reading the book, and from scenes from Babel.

2 comments:

Radha said...

You could say that about almost all societies in the world though.

I'm dying to read a Haruki Murakami book...they say that if you could read only one book by a Jap author, it should be his.

clickable said...

"Kafka on the shore" has been on my books to read list for a while...but this time I got a couple of your recommended books from the library.